Regional berths on line for harriers
The Cy-Fair girls and Cy Creek boys are out to defend team titles at this week's District 17-5A Cross Country Meet, but a number of other teams are ready to challenge for top spots.
Participants will also go for individual honors that could lead to region and state meet invitations.
ABOUT THE EVENT
• When: 9 a.m. Friday, Oct. 29
• Where: Spring Creek Park in Tomball
• What's at stake: Girls and boys team and individual championships and berths to the 5A Region 3 Meet on Nov. 6 at Atascocita High School
• Teams: Cy-Fair, Cy Creek, Cy Ranch, Cy Woods, Cy Falls, Langham Creek, Jersey Village, Cy Ridge, Cy Lakes, Cy Springs
• Girls: Cy-Fair is the defending champion after scoring 29 points and coming in ahead of Cy Creek (53) and Cy Ranch (109) last year. Cy-Fair was second in Region 2 and fifth at state in 2009 and returns every runner from that team including sophomores Katie Boane, Faith Banker, Lauren Fritz and Haley Culpepper, juniors Karen Hunsicker and Katherine Wright, and senior Madeline Livergood, and the team also has senior Sarah Pena and sophomore Morgan Wilson in the mix ... Cy Creek junior Leslie Schilsky is back to defend her individual title after recording a winning time of 11:45.12 over 3,200 meters in 2009. She went on to finish eighth at regionals and 34th at state ... Most coaches name Cy-Fair as the team to beat in 2010, but Cy Creek, Cy Woods and Cy Ranch are expected to make strong challenges.
• Boys: Cy Creek slipped by Cy Woods 54-55 for the 2009 title, and Cy-Fair wasn't that far behind at 76 for third place ... Cy Woods junior Craig Nowack will defend his individual title, and last year, he had a district-best clocking of 16:18.03 over 4,800 meters. Also competing for Cy Woods at regionals in 2009 were now juniors Colin Stoeber, Josh Szot and Kyle Ray, and sophomore Harry Krantz ... Cy Creek went on the place eighth at regionals with now juniors Kearton Blau and Sir Jean Demont, sophomore Matt Parmley, and senior Colton Heflin making contributions.
Local Advertising by PaperG