Locals hitting the mats
It's billed as the largest high school wrestling tournament in Texas, and with up to 75 boys and 60 girls teams converging on the Berry Center this week for the ninth annual Cy-Fair ISD Tournament, no other event comes close.
The ten Cy-Fair ISD and four Klein ISD schools will be on hand, along with all of the greater Houston area teams, and it's a rare opportunity to see how our local competitors measure up against the best of the rest from all across Texas.
ABOUT THE EVENT
• What: Ninth annual Cy-Fair ISD Tournament
• When: 3-10 p.m. Friday, Jan. 7, and 9:30 a.m.-6 p.m. Saturday, Jan. 8
• Where: The Berry Center, 8877 Barker-Cypress Road
• Tickets: $3 for students, $5 for adults
• Sponsors: Cy-Fair ISD, Willie's, Nestle Water, Sam's Club, Casa Ole, HEB, Chick-fil-A, Panera Bread, Spring Creek BBQ, Jason's Deli, Zaxby's
• What's at stake: Team and individual championships with several defending state champs on hand including Cy-Fair senior Jake Ekster (boys 130 pounds) and Cy Creek junior Anna McAleavey (girls 128)
• More information: Look online at www.berrycenter.net.
• Local flavor: Houston area teams set to compete include Cy Creek, Cy-Fair, Cy Falls, Cy Lakes, Cy Ranch, Cy Ridge, Cy Springs, Cy Woods, Jersey Village, Langham Creek from University Interscholastic League District 21; Klein, Klein Collins, Klein Forest, Klein Oak. Willis, Conroe, Oak Ridge, The Woodlands, College Park, Humble, Kingwood, Summer Creek, Huntsville from District 20; Strake Jesuit, Katy, Cinco Ranch, Mayde Creek, Morton Ranch, Seven Lakes, Katy Taylor, Foster, George Ranch, Lamar Consolidated, Terry, Waller from District 22; Bellaire, Chavez, Davis, Lamar, Lee, Houston Math, Science and Tech, Reagan, Westside from District 23; and Brazoswood, Brazosport, Friendswood, Clear Brook, Clear Lake, Clear Creek, Clear Falls, Clear Springs, La Marque, Beaumont Central, Ozen, West Brook from District 24 É Meet director and Cy Ridge coach Tim Ray, who founded the event in 2003, once coached all of the Cy-Fair ISD wrestling teams (seven at that time), but now, all 10 Cy-Fair ISD schools have their own head coach and program É According to Ray, the first three Cy-Fair ISD Tournaments where held at Cy Ridge High School (two years) and Cy Springs (one year) before moving to the Berry Center when the facility opened in 2006.
Local Advertising by PaperG