Marquee matchup set for Friday
Not only is the Cy-Fair at Cy Lakes matchup a meeting of two of the top boys teams in District 17-5A, it's also a Coaches vs. Cancer fundraising event with the teams helping to garner donations for the American Cancer Society.
Both squads had 2-0 starts in district, and with the split-zone schedule in 17-5A, it's the only league meeting between the two this season.
ABOUT THE GAME
• Matchup: Cy-Fair at Cy Lakes
• When: 7 p.m. Friday, Jan. 14
• Where: Cy Lakes High School
• What's at stake: Possibly the outright lead, or a share of first place, in District 17-5A
• Cy-Fair players to watch: C-F B.J. Jones, F-C Michael Stevenson, G-F Avain Rachel, C-F Cody Wall
• Cy Lakes players to watch: P Thomas Frazier, W Zac Garth, W Cory Jones, G Salim Osei-Frimpong, W Jonathan Bowen
• Cy-Fair: The Bobcats opened District 17-5A play by beating Cy Ranch 55-49 and Cy Ridge 63-57 and they were one of four league teams to start 2-0 along with Cy Lakes, Cy Falls and Langham Creek. The freshman Jones wore out the nets with 33 points against Cy Ridge and 19 against Cy Ranch. Stevenson added 15 points against Cy Ranch and Rachel finished with 10 against Cy Ridge — Coach Barry Townley's Cy-Fair squad meets Cy Creek at 7:30 p.m. Tuesday, Jan. 18, at the Berry Center in a hoops twin bill that also features the Cy-Fair girls taking on Cy Creek at 6 p.m. in another key 17-5A encounter - The Cy Lakes girls game at Cy-Fair at 7 p.m. Friday, Jan. 14, is also a Coaches vs. Cancer fundraiser, and for more information, contact Townley at 281-897-4615 or 713-703-0268.
• Cy Lakes: The Spartans recorded wins over Cy Creek 74-59 and Cy Springs 56-48 in their first two district battles with Frazier scoring 21, Garth 17, Jones 11 and Osei-Frimpong 10 against Cy Creek, and Frazier putting up 20 points and Garth 17 against Cy Springs - Frazier is the team's top scorer with 17.2 per game, with Garth next at 16.3, Jones at 15.1 and Bowen 14.1 - The teams split games last season with Cy Lakes winning the first meeting 57-55 and Cy-Fair taking the second 71-62 during the Spartans' first season of varsity play - Cy Lakes hosts Cy Ranch at 7 p.m. Tuesday, Jan. 18, in its next district outing.
Local Advertising by PaperG