Girls basketball: Mustangs, Bobcats vie for position
After Cy Falls, the state's No. 1 Class 5A team, there's a logjam of five District 17-5A teams that are within two games of each other for second, third and fourth place, and Cy-Fair and Cy Ranch are among that group that's battling for the final three playoff berths.
Following a 1-2 start in District 17-5A, Cy Ranch climbed the league ladder with three straight victories, and Cy -Fair opened district with a loss to Cy Falls, but then answered with a five-game win streak.
It's the second meeting between the postseason hopefuls with Cy-Fair taking the first 60-49 on Jan. 4.
ABOUT THE GAME
• Matchup: Cy Ranch at Cy-Fair
• When: 7 p.m. Friday, Jan. 21
• Where: Cy-Fair High School
• What's at stake: Maintaining a prime playoff position in the 17-5A standings
• Cy-Fair players to watch: G Cassie Peoples, G Tara Warren, G Danika Cervenka, G Elaine Jones
• Cy Ranch players to watch: F Kiki Devane, G Hillary Morris, G Christina Martin, G Cienna Rodriguez, P Megan Roemlein, G Kristen Kech, G Ashlyn Wiemann
• Cy-Fair: The Lady Bobcats fell to powerful Cy Falls 66-44 in a 17-5A opener way back on Dec. 17, but then beat (in order) Cy Woods 52-50, Cy Ranch, Cy Ridge 49-31, Jersey Village 57-45 and Cy Lakes 69-47 ... In the first encounter with Cy Ranch two weeks ago, Cy-Fair was led by Peoples' 26 points, Warren's 15 and Cervenka's 10 as the Lady Bobcats broke open a close contest with a 22-3 edge in the second quarter ... In last week's district wins, Peoples scored 29 and Warren 12 against Cy Lakes, and Peoples finished with 13 points and Jones had 10 against Jersey Village ... Peoples is the team's top scorer with a 23.1 average and Warren is next at 13.5 ... After taking on Cy Ranch, the Lady Bobcats are in action at 7 p.m. Tuesday, Jan. 25, at Cy Ridge.
• Cy Ranch: The Lady Mustangs started district with a 60-43 win against Jersey Village, but then lost to Cy Falls 55-15 and Cy-Fair before stopping Langham Creek 53-38, Cy Ridge 62-43 and Cy Springs 50-19 ... Kech led with 13 points, and Martin and Rodriguez had 11 apiece in the first meeting with Cy-Fair, and during last week's triumphs, Devane scored 11 and Martin and Rodriguez had 10 each against Cy Ridge, and Wiemann led with 14 points against Cy Springs in a game where the Lady Mustangs had a 36-7 advantage in the second half.
Local Advertising by PaperG