Lobos, Spartans square off Tuesday
Two of the best in District 17-5A square off with a multitude of postseason ramifications in the mix when Cy Lakes welcomes Langham Creek in the first of two league meetings.
Cy Lakes, in its second varsity season, fell to Langham Creek 69-59 last year in the only previous meeting between the serious playoff contenders.
ABOUT THE GAME
• Matchup: Langham Creek at Cy Lakes
• When: 7 p.m. Tuesday, Jan. 25
• Where: Cy Lakes High School
• What's at stake: Part or possibly all of the 17-5A lead and maintaining a prime position in the district standings
• Langham Creek players to watch: W John Johnson, PG Ryan Patrick, G Quinn Taylor, G Austin Cheyenne, PG Reggie Simmons, G Gilbert Carter, P Eric Johnson
• Cy Lakes players to watch: G Troy Fisher, W Jonathan Bowen, W Zac Garth, W Cory Jones, P Thomas Frazier, G Zach Wehner
• Langham Creek: The Lobos' sparkling 4-0 district start was thanks to wins over Cy Woods 61-44, Cy Ranch 55-35, Cy Creek 65-50 and Cy Ridge 65-50, and in last week's triumphs, Taylor scored 18 and John Johnson 11 against Cy Ridge, and Simmons had 15, Eric Johnson 13 and Taylor 10 against Cy Creek — Coach Charles Ament is in his fourth season at Langham Creek and has taken his previous three Lobo teams to the postseason including a trip to the region semifinals last year - The Lobos downed Cy Falls 53-49 in a district playoff to advance last season and then beat Cedar Park 59-55, College Park 62-51 and The Woodlands 56-47 before falling to Garland Lakeview Centennial 69-63 - Langham Creek hosts Cy Woods at 7 p.m. Friday, Jan. 28, in another league outing.
• Cy Lakes: The Spartans just missed the playoffs in their first varsity campaign last season, and they turned a lot of heads by winning the Cy-Fair ISD Invitational in December - A 3-1 district beginning included wins against Cy Creek 74-59, Cy Springs 56-48 and Cy-Fair 72-65, and a surprising 73-44 loss to Cy Falls, which matched Langham Creek's 4-0 start - The Spartans had four score in double figures against Cy-Fair with Garth, Wehner and Jones tallying 12 apiece, and Frazier 11 - Frazier is the top scorer with a 16.5 clip and Garth comes in at 15.4 - Cy Lakes, under the direction of coach Jeff Snedeker, continues 17-5A play at 7 p.m. Friday, Jan. 28, at Cy Creek - The second battle between the Spartans and Lobos is at 7 p.m. on Feb. 11 at Langham Creek.
Local Advertising by PaperG