Non-zone game has berth meaning
In the first meeting this season, 17-5A playoff contenders Cy-Fair and Cy Springs have a key non-zone encounter that's packed with postseason ramifications.
Cy-Fair came into this week with a 4-2 district start, and in a third-place tie with Cy Lakes, and Cy Springs was only a game back, and looking to climb the 17-5A ladder and get onto a top-four step.
The teams met only once last season with Cy-Fair taking a convincing 82-57 victory at Cy Springs, and if the schools do battle again this year, it will be in the postseason.
ABOUT THE GAME
• Matchup: Cy Springs at Cy-Fair
• When: 7 p.m. Friday, Jan. 28
• Where: Cy-Fair High School
• What's at stake: The winner takes another step towards a 17-5A playoff berth
• Cy-Fair players to watch: C-F B.J. Jones, F-C Michael Stevenson, G-F Avain Rachel, C-F Cody Wall, G Robert Richmond
• Cy Springs players to watch: G Richard Benedyth, G Marquel McKinney, G Cameron Langley, W Brandon Whittington, W Quame' Edwards
• Cy-Fair: The Bobcats started district with wins over Cy Ranch 55-49, Cy Ridge 63-57, Jersey Village 58-51 and Cy Creek 59-53, and losses to Cy Lakes 72-65 and Cy Ranch 54-44. Rachel scored 20 and Stevenson added 17 in the victory against Cy Creek at the Berry Center, and Richmond led with 17 and Jones had 11 against Cy Ranch last week — Jones (13.3) and Stevenson (12.1) are the team's scoring leaders - After hosting Cy Springs, the Bobcats entertain front-running Cy Falls at 7 p.m. Tuesday, Feb. 1 - Cy-Fair closes district against Jersey Village (Feb. 4 away), Langham Creek (Feb. 8 home), Cy Woods (Feb. 11 away) and Cy Falls (Feb. 15 away).
• Cy Springs: The Panthers' 3-3 beginning in 17-5A featured wins against Jersey Village 47-35, Cy Woods 77-64 and Cy Ranch 83-46, and losses to Cy Lakes 56-48, Cy Falls 54-52 and Langham Creek 65-62, and that's coming up a combined five points short of district leaders Cy Falls and Langham Creek last week. Benedyth, a 5-11 junior who is one of the area's top scorers with a 27.1 clip, had 26 points against Cy Falls, but was held to 14 against Langham Creek (McKinney's 23 paced the Panthers against the Lobos). McKinney is another top weapon with 16.9 points per game - Cy Springs hosts Cy Woods at 7 p.m. Tuesday, Feb. 1, and wraps up its league agenda against Cy Lakes (Feb. 4 away), Cy Ridge (Feb. 8 home), Cy Creek (Feb. 11 away) and Langham Creek (Feb. 15 home).