Wrestling state meet this week
The Cy-Fair ISD has several participants at this week's University Interscholastic League Wrestling State Meet in Austin, a two-day contest that features the best of Texas public high schools, and many of the local standouts have a shot to reach the medal stand.
Wrestlers from Cy-Fair, Cy Woods, Cy Creek, Cy Ridge and Langham Creek will try to bring back hardware in various girls and boys weight classes, and it all starts at 9 a.m. Friday, Feb. 25, with the boys first round.
ABOUT THE EVENT
• What: University Interscholastic League Wrestling State Meet
• When: Friday and Saturday, Feb. 25-26
• Where: Austin ISD Delco Center, 4601 Pecan Brook Dr., Austin 78724
• Tickets: Students $5 and adults $10 per day, $18 all-tournament pass, $15 coaches and officials all-tournament
• What's at stake: Team and individual state championships and medals
• Performers to watch: Cy-Fair senior Jacob Ekster (boys 135), Cy-Fair senior Nicholas Yapp (boys 140), Cy Creek junior Anna McAleavey (girls 138), Cy Creek senior George Woods (boys 285), Cy Ridge junior Diaysha Moore (girls 119), Langham Creek senior Shanay Colyar (girls 110)
• More information: Visit www.uiltexas.org/wrestling/state
• Austin info: The schedule for Friday, Feb. 25, starts with the boys weigh in at 7:30 a.m., and the boys round one championship matches at 9 a.m. on six mats at the Delco Center. The girls first weigh in follows at 10:30 a.m., with girls round one beginning at noon. Later that day, boys round two goes off at 1:45 p.m. with round three at 7 p.m., and for the girls, round two is at 5 p.m. and round three at 8:30 p.m. ... On Saturday, Feb. 26, weigh ins are at 7:30 a.m. for girls and 8:15 a.m. for boys, with rounds four and five going from 9 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. The girls finals matches start at 3 p.m., followed by the boys finales at 6 p.m. ... Doors open to the public one hour prior to the beginning of wrestling each day, and all seating is general admission ... Persons wishing to come and go during the day must buy an all-tournament pass, as there will be no in and out privileges ... No outside food or drinks are allowed in the Delco Center ... Most coaches say wrestlers are not thrilled with the two-week break between regionals at state, and many wish the state event was held the weekend after region meets.
Local Advertising by PaperG