Lacrosse: Episcopal to host Cy-Fair Thursday
Episcopal head girls lacrosse coach Regan Bosch didn't want to make too much of the Knights' showdown with Cy-Fair on Thursday night at home.
But the facts are indisputable. The Knights are the reigning Southwest Preparatory Conference champions, while the Iron Maidens are one of the state's true powerhouses. Both teams are among the short list of contenders for the Texas High School Girls Lacrosse League's Division I state title.
"You've got the Nos. 1 and 2 teams from the South District facing off," Bosch said. "It's pretty big."
Then again, Bosch said the outcome may not be so important after all. While the winner earns the top seed in next week's THSGLL's South District playoffs, there could be even bigger games awaiting both teams down the road.
"There's a chance we could see Cy-Fair again in the city playoffs or at state," Bosch said. "You never know."
ABOUT THE GAME
• Matchup: Cy-Fair Iron Maidens at Episcopal Knights
• When: 7 p.m., Thursday, April 14
• Where: Simmons Field, Episcopal
• What's at stake: Both teams are undefeated in the THSGLL's South District, with the winner earning the top seed in next week's city playoffs.
• Cy-Fair players to watch: M Emily Newstrom, M Delaney Fisher, M Casey McCarthy, D Waverly Broekstra.
• Episcopal players to watch: M Sydney Dupre, M Drew Cowan, M Kimberly Khourie, A Leigh Lausen, D Brooks Leavell.
• Cy-Fair: The Iron Maidens, coached by Chris Haefele, have remained one of the state's top teams. They are led by Stanford signee Newstrom and Fisher (Towson State).
• Episcopal: The Knights (11-5) improved to a perfect 11-0 against Texas teams this season with a 22-8 victory over Bellaire. Dupre led the way with seven goals and two assists, while Blakely Hamblen added four goals.
- Cypress-Fairbanks Independent students move on to global competition
- Johnson and Moseng bowl highest men's scratch game at AMF Windfern Lanes
- Cypress Christian School to hold sports camps and clinics
- Houston Police Department collision call log for April 26
- Tate bowls highest women's scratch game at AMF Windfern Lanes
Local Advertising by PaperG