Game of the Week: 'Cats' dream still going
Cy Woods swept Nimitz in a bidistrict softball playoff series, but it's going to be one-and-done for someone when the Lady Wildcats host Katy Taylor in a Class 5A Region III single-game area showdown this week.
Katy Taylor blanked Westside in a one-game postseason opener last week, and according to sources, the 19-5A champs wanted to stick with that format against Cy Woods, the No. 3 seed out of 17-5A.
ABOUT THE GAME
• Matchup: Katy Taylor at Cy Woods
• When: 6 p.m. Friday
• Where: Cy Woods High School
• What's at stake: Advancing to the region quarterfinals against Cy-Fair or Seven Lakes
• Cy Woods players to watch: SS Megan O'Keane, 3B Hannah Doggett, OF Taryn Murillo, CF Desiree Garcia, P Morgan Truitt, C Kristen Anglin, 1B Taylor Burton, 2B Holly Young, P Ashley Abott, OF-IN Mandi Hawkins
• Katy Taylor players to watch: P-1B Jennifer Hooker, OF Aisha Graham, SS-C Michelle Brown, IN-OF Madison Dinelli, 1B-OF Devin Alonzo
• Cy Woods: The Lady Wildcats took care of business in bidistrict with a decisive 12-1 and 20-4 sweep of Nimitz ... Cy Woods advanced to the playoffs this season as the No. 3 seed from 17-5A after going as the 15-5A champion in 2010 and falling to Cedar Park 2-0 in the first round (and having its name misspelled 'Cy Wodds' in the UIL playoff bracket) ... The Cy Woods-Katy Taylor single-game area playoff winner moves on to face 17-5A champ Cy-Fair or 19-5A third place Seven Lakes in the region quarterfinals ... Truitt was the winning pitcher and had two hits and three RBIs, and Murillo was 3-for 5 with a double and three RBIs in the second game of the Nimitz sweep, and Abott won game one with Hawkins leading at the plate with two hits and four RBIs.
• Katy Taylor: The Lady Mustangs beat Westside 9-0 with Hooker pitching a one-hitter that included eight strikeouts and no walks in seven innings. Graham led the offense by going 4-for-4 with two runs scored and a RBI, while Dinelli, a freshman, contributed a home run and drove in four, and Alonzo was 2-for-3 with a triple and two runs scored ... Katy Taylor went all the way to the 2010 region finals before falling 6-2 and 5-3 to eventual state champion Pearland. The Lady Mustangs got there with wins over Memorial 2-0, Kingwood 10-4 and 10-0, Cinco Ranch 2-1 and Elkins 1-0 and 3-0.