Baseball: Cy-Fair to meet Lamar in series
The Lamar baseball team is on a serious roll, collecting 29 hits while sweeping Katy Taylor 11-1 and 15-5 in a Class 5A-Region III bi-district playoff series.
But Lamar head coach Mike McGilvray expects Cy-Fair to give the Redskins more difficulty in the area round.
"Cy-Fair is one of the elite programs in Houston," McGilvray said. "They won state in 2007 and they're talented enough to win again."
Lamar, the District 20-5A champion, is mentioned as one of the Region III favorites this season, but McGilvray isn't overconfident. He noted that the postseason can be unpredictable.
"Clements is the No. 2 team in the country and Alvin took them to three games (in the first round)," McGilvray said. "Every team from here on out is going test us, Cy-Fair included."
ABOUT THE GAME
• Matchup: Lamar Redskins (29-3-1) vs. Cy-Fair Bobcats (20-8)
• Game 1: Thursday, May 12, Cy-Fair, 7 p.m.
• Game 2: Friday, May 13, Lamar, 7 p.m.
• Game 3 (if necessary): Saturday, May 14, Lamar, 2 p.m.
• What's at stake: The winner advances to the Class 5A-Region III quarterfinals next week.
• Lamar players to watch: OF/P John Williamson, C Cole Lankford, 1B Matt Luna, OF Ryan Farney, P Chris Lanham, P Kevin Roy.
• Cy-Fair players to watch: P Trey Wall, 3B Kevin Santana, P Brandon Dixon, 1B/P Garrett Machacek, SS/3B Cameron Craig, OF Garrett Trethewey, OF Jacob Stokes.
• Lamar: The Redskins' hitters dominated up and down the line-up against Katy Taylor. Farney was a perfect 4-for-4 in both games with two doubles, four RBI and five runs scored. Lankford also was 5-for-7 at the plate, while Luna and Williamson each homered twice. Lamar got production from the bottom of the line-up from right fielder Connor Knapp, the No. 9-hole hitter. McGilvray said starters Williamson and Lanham pitched well.
• Cy-Fair: The Bobcats swept Eisenhower 16-4 and 7-1 in a 5A-Region III bi-district series. Wall, a Blinn College signee, struck out eight batters and gave up only two hits in Game 2. Cy-Fair is coached by Woody Champagne, now in his 31st season at the helm. The Bobcats had won seven straight district titles before finishing second in District 17-5A this season.
Local Advertising by PaperG