Volleyball: Playoff teams meet in opener
Two of last year's volleyball playoff qualifiers — Klein Oak and Cy Falls - meet in a 2011 season opener in a matchup that both teams would love to see repeat itself at the state tournament in November.
For that to happen, Klein Oak will have to get out of District 13-5A and win Region II, and Cy Falls has to do the same in District 17-5A and Region III, and then possibly pair off against each in San Marcos.
ABOUT THE GAME
• Matchup: Klein Oak at Cy Falls
• When: 6:30 p.m. Tuesday, Aug. 9
• Where: Cy Falls High School
• What's at stake: Winning the season opener against another top playoff contender
• Klein Oak players to watch: DS Hanna Risher, DS Lexi Pham, OH Michelle Trotter
• Cy Falls players to watch: MB Alexis Austin, MB/OH Chanel Clark-Bibbs, OH Kim Brooks, OH Mylan Eugene, MB Patricia Van Pelt, DS Britney Dawley
• Klein Oak: The Lady Panthers captured the District 13-5A championship beating out co-playoff qualifiers Klein Collins, Tomball and Klein, and Klein Oak went on to stop Atascocita and Georgetown before falling to Austin Westlake in the Region II quarterfinals last year ... Coach Christie Mewis is in her 10th season as Klein Oak's head coach, and she welcomes back defensive specialists Risher and Pham, and outside hitter Trotter from a team that was hit hard by graduation after finishing 38-3 overall and 14-0 in district (at least five of the nine 2010 seniors are playing college volleyball) ... Klein Oak swept Cy Falls 25-21, 25-17, 25-16 in the 2010 season opener, and the Lady Panthers also downed Cy Falls 25-17, 25-17 at the Cy-Fair ISD Tournament last season.
• Cy Falls: The Lady Eagles advanced to the postseason with a 12-6 (third place) finish in District 17-5A, and they defeated Eisenhower in the first round prior to being edged by Seven Lakes in five games in the area playoffs (fifth game was 16-14 against Seven Lakes) ... Cy Falls closed last season at 22-19, but most expect the Lady Eagles to do much better this season with the 6-2 Austin and 6-1 Clark-Bibbs back in the fold, along with several other talented and hungry veterans. Austin is headed to the University of Colorado, and Clark-Bibbs, who has committed to Georgia Tech, may miss some early action while playing for a USA Junior Olympics team in Turkey ... Coach Kathy Stephenson is in her 19th season with the Lady Eagles, who are at the Cy-Fair ISD Tournament on Aug. 11-13 after battling Klein Oak.
Local Advertising by PaperG