HCFCD to restore second section of Cypress Creek
The second phase of the Cypress Creek channel restoration project in Harris County has started, according to a press release from the Harris County Flood Control District released on Aug. 1.
The project's construction will concentrate on the creek's banks in the Elizabeth Kaiser Meyer Park from Latson Road to Stuebner-Airline Road to create side slopes and a channel bench or plateau into the banks. The construction will prevent the erosion of the banks, which has killed trees and increased sediment deposits in the creek and affected aquatic wildlife. Trees and other vegetation will again be planted to help stabilize the soil when the project is completed.
BRH-Garver Construction LP was awarded a $1.4 million contract by the Harris County Commissioners for the project.
The first phase of the restoration project was finished in 2006. It restored a quarter-mile section of the creek west of Latson Road. During that work, remains of an ancient Native American campsite were discovered. Archeologists have found more than 2,000 Native American artifacts dating between from 100 to 800 A.D. and 800 to 1750 A.D., or the Early and Late Ceramic periods, at the site. One Paleoindian artifact dating from 8,000 to 6,000 B.C. also was found. All of the artifacts are now at the Texas Archeological Research Library at the University of Texas and are not for public viewing.
The Harris County Flood Control District is located at 9900 Northwest Freeway in Houston. For more information about the flood control district, visit hcfcd.org.
Local Advertising by PaperG