Cy Falls students participate in George W. Bush Institute Economic Debates
Two Cy Falls High School students were selected to compete in the George W. Bush Institute Economic Debates held Sunday, Oct. 21 in Dallas.
Seniors Nikunj Soni and Hassan Khan were among 44 students selected from throughout the U.S. to compete in the event. The competition began with a keynote speech by former President George W. Bush on Saturday evening, Oct. 20.
The following morning, participants were given the debate topic: private property rights are necessary for economic growth. Debaters had one hour to prepare their arguments before the competition began.
Khan advanced through three debate rounds, and was one of the top two finalists in the competition. For his efforts, Khan won $3,000. James K. Glassman, a senior economist at JP Morgan Chase, presented Khan with the prize money.
Panel judges for the competition included the top two directors from the Bush Economic Institute, an economic adviser from Mexico, a board member from the Dallas Urban Debate League and a Dallas attorney.
- She takes stress out of your special events
- Thomas A. Glazier Senior Education Center events: May 30-June 17
- Shani Thompson awarded Phi Eta Sigma National Honor Society charter membership
- Cypress Creek Lakes offers optimum lifestyle amenities
- 18 from Jersey Village High School Receive Honor
Local Advertising by PaperG